This will be discussed at your PrEP appointment but if you are a person with a penis there are a few ways to take PrEP
- Daily one pill per day routine – very effective, recommended for all trans people using hormone treatment.
- Event Based Dosing - If you know that you might have condomless sex 24 hours in advance:
- take 2 pills 2 – 24 hours before sex
- take 1 pill 24 hours later
- take 1 more pill 24 hours after that
- 4 pills per week – might be beneficial for those who are slightly less sexually active and would prefer using less medication.
- Holiday PrEP - Based on a 7-day period (or holiday) it is recommended to do 7-7-7:
- 7 days daily dosing before the period
- 7 days daily dosing during the period (or for as long as the specific period lasts)
- 7 days daily dosing after the period
If you are a person with a vulva, the recommended way to take PrEP is daily PrEP.
How to ‘quickstart’ PrEP for people with a penis: