Please read our Helpful Hints and advice...
We get a lot of Home STI Kits returned to our lab with insufficient blood to enable a test to be completed. In these instances, you need to re-test. If you need another kit sent to you within one month of completing a test, please get in contact with us, by email, using our Contact Page and we'd be happy to get another one out to you.
Find below some general advice on doing the Home STI Kit tests, that may help you to provide sufficient and accurate samples to the Lab:-
- Fill the blood bottle to above the top orange line – that’s really important. Use the 3 lancets provided if you start to heal and “dry-up” so you get enough blood out
- Drink as much water as you can on the day you do the home test kit – try and get a litre down yourself and make sure you do the test after a couple of hours of drinking it, so that the water is in your blood when you use the lancets. Try to avoid high sugar foods on the day, as these can make your blood much thicker.
- Warm your hands for a few minutes in hot water – it really does help you bleed
- There is a white “request slip” in the box. It has your name, date of birth and phone number on it – make sure you put all your completed tests back in the box and cellotape that request slip on the top and around the box to keep it closed and sealed. If the Lab don’t get your request slip, then they won’t process your kit.
- Check your phone number is correct on the request slip, to make sure you get a text and let us know if you don’t hear within 7 days (this allows 2 days for postage)
- Label all your samples & check the expiry date of your kit by looking at the box and the blood collection bottle
- When you do your throat swab, try and avoid touching your tongue and give the back of your throat a good scrub with the swab to pick up the bacteria we need to look for – use the guidance notes in the box for assistance
- When you do your urine test, make sure you collect the very first part of your pee that you let go of. That’s really important and don’t pee for at least an hour to 1.5hrs before you collect your urine sample, so that any bacteria shows up in the test.
You can also read the Guidance Notes in your pack in advance...
You'll receive the Guidance Notes on this page in your Home STI Kit pack. For anyone interested in ordering a kit, these will provide additional information as to what to expect when you order one of our by-post Home STI kits from us. These guidance notes will help you to take your own self-samples and complete the tests you need to post back.
Or watch the instructional video?
The below video will help you take your blood sample, using the safety lancets provided in the pack you'll have received from us. Please watch this step-by-step video, before attempting to collect your blood sample. It will take you through filling in the form, what to expect in your pack and instructions on taking the blood sample.